ad 1

Monday, April 1, 2013

More USS Missouri Details

I found some pictures on my memory card of the details of my Tamiya 1/350 USS Missouri that shows off the photo etched parts.


Some people have suggested that when you use photo etched pieces, its easier to paint them on the fret (the tree that holds the parts) and then assemble the model. I think thats a little strange. Glue as many parts to the model and then paint them. That way the paint can cover the glue.


While adding the photo etched parts, I built the superstructure in sections and test fitted them in place. This gave me a good idea of how to mask and paint each section. It would have been a strategic nightmare to paint all the vertical surfaces gray and most of the horizontal sections navy blue once the entire model had been glued together, so keeping the boat divided into small sections made life a lot easier.

The pictures below show the world of difference photo etched parts can make especially on very small parts. The plastic parts provided with the kit were way too thick and I know the Missouri had some armor plates around her guns, but the kit parts would have made those plates almost a foot thick. Thin brass looks much better





1 comment:

  1. Hi matt
    Any photos of how you linked pedals and stick to control surfaces etc

    my email is
    westernorthodontics@bigpond.com

    Cheers and thanks

    Paul Kittel

    ReplyDelete