ad 1

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Introduction


Welcome to my blog! First I'll have to say that there are a million a one blogs about modeling out there and this is yet another one. But I have a purpose in mind with this. I have looked at a few other blogs or websites that talk about modeling and they all seem to have the same information. And although that is all important information, there are still a few holes to fill in. In my articles and walk-throughs I'm going to do my best to give detailed information so the knowledge you gain can be directly applied without having to figure out some things for yourself. Modeling is one of those hobbies that is highly skill and knowledge based. Without the knowledge you can't built the skill and without exercising your skills you can't learn the knowledge.

I will also share my mistakes and trials during my projects, which most people probably wouldn't admit. No one is perfect and failure is a very real possibility when you are first starting out or when you attempt to learn a new skill. I was not born with an inherit ability to slap plastic together and form a masterpiece. I learned what I know over 25 years of trial and error, of builds and rebuilds, of broken parts and sloppy glue, and of horrible pain jobs to the stars. But the knowledge I gained from all this mistakes helped me to make the second attempt so much better and the end result was something I can be proud of. Sometimes in modeling, especially when you are scratch building, you will have to make something or try something several times. In this blog, I want to show you those first, second, and sometimes third attempts, explain to you why they didn't work, and how I decided to change things. Hopefully from my mistakes, you will be able to save yourself some time, money, material, and frustrations. Maybe ideas that failed for my projects will work for your project, and that by seeing my thought process you will be inspired to try things a different way. Either way, there is a benefit and that's what you need to remember. Both success and failures are beneficial. I would say failure is more beneficial because you will learn things every time and that is how you gain skills and knowledge.

Modeling is supposed to be fun. There is no right way or wrong way to do something, there is no proper level of detail or set color scheme. Do it to make yourself happy. If you want a model of a B-17 Flying Fortress painted orange with silver stripe down the side, then do it (just don't expect to when any beauty pageants with it). If you want to super detail, then do it. If you want to build straight from the kit with no modifications, great. If you want to see what would happen if a Spitfire and an ME262 had a baby, then you're a little weird, but we're modelers. We're supposed to be weird!! Take pride in it and do what gives you the most satisfaction. That's all that matters! Hopefully the tips, tricks, techniques, and mistakes that are posted here will help.

I hope to get a few good articles and pictures up in the next couple of weeks, so check back later and bare with the simplicity of the site. I'll play around with the format until I can make this thing look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment